To all the Scotland critics

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  SCFC_Messiah on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:43 pm


SCFC_Messiah
1st year scholar
1st year scholar

Posts : 76
Join date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  Cornellyjak on Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Evanski, I take your point mate. As i said towards the bottom of my post his work rate was well up on his usual performance.
Just want him to perform that way every game. thumbs up
Cornellyjak
Cornellyjak
On the bench
On the bench

Posts : 311
Join date : 2008-11-12
Age : 55
Location : Pyle, Just outside of Porthcawl

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=info&edit_info=all#/profil

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  DBSwansea on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:29 am

Evanski wrote:
Cornellyjak wrote:OK, he got 2 goals last night.. yes i was there as usual and for once he did actually try. His ball control was much better than normal. Just a thought .... does anyone else think he tried harder last night because of the heroic statue of Trundle and the way we chanted his name at Bristol? I think he did, but he has to put in this type of performance every game not just when it pleases him.
Still not a fan of his, and still dont love him , but fairs fair he had a decent game last night ... and on that (and you wont get this out of me very often unless he performs well) WELL DONE JASON SCOTLAND. Now make us all shut up and do your job like you show you can on times!!!!!!!!!

It's not often that I disagree with you CJ, but I do on this. I think DBSwans has hit the nail on his head with his post. He's spot on to suggest that a striker's task in a 4-5-1 formation is a thankless one. One of his main jobs is to receive the ball in midfield with back to goal and bring advancing midfielders into the game. If this works properly then the midfielder's going to receive the ball at full speed, leaving the striker an impossible task in catching up with play unless it's slowed down by the defence. He's never going to trouble the top scorer charts if he's used in this way but the fact that midfielders have provided the majority of our goals is in no small way down to him.

We're both old enough to remember the Frankie Burrows era. He always played the same formation as we do now but, while players like McFarlane were duffers, the strikers at that time never came close to matching Scotland's total of 29 at the same level. The guy who came closest was Torpey who never looked that good, but did very well in what is now the Championship with Bristol City (I think). Makes me wonder if he'd have been more prolific for us if he had company up front just as I'm sure Scotland would be? He wouldn't look as lazy then because he'd be one of two chasing the ball. One thing I'm sure we'll agree on is that in Scotland we've moved on immeasurably from the days of McFarlane, Torpey, Hayes, Alsop etc! thumbs up

Just as a general point, it's also interesting to note that Scotland scored (comfortably) more goals last season than Trundle ever did in a season for us in his first season in English football, and has already scored more goals in under half a season at this level than Trundle did all of last season, despite being used in a 4-5-1 formation. People might say that he's played more games, but doesn't the fact that he's holding onto the only striking position going at Swansea while Trundle is unable to claim one of the two going in Drizzle, even with one of their strikers out injured against us, say something? While I'm not suggesting that Trundle should be the barometer of a good striker, this suggests to me that we have a more than adequate replacement for the best striker that we've had in recent times. That can't be bad!

Fair play, that's got to be the best post of the new forum. Thank god there are others on here who understand the tactical aspects of football.

_________________
UBoss Supplements | Training Log

"Most powerlifters share some common defects. We, as a whole for whatever reason, LOVE to punish, beat and torture ourselves beyond the limits of mind and body. It is our spirit that prevails. This defect of intelligence and sensibility pushes us on to the next level, makes us better and stronger. "
DBSwansea
DBSwansea
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 284
Join date : 2008-11-08
Age : 37
Location : The mean streets of Penlan

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=516785633&ref=profile

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  Edzzie93 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:35 am

DBSwansea wrote:
Evanski wrote:
Cornellyjak wrote:OK, he got 2 goals last night.. yes i was there as usual and for once he did actually try. His ball control was much better than normal. Just a thought .... does anyone else think he tried harder last night because of the heroic statue of Trundle and the way we chanted his name at Bristol? I think he did, but he has to put in this type of performance every game not just when it pleases him.
Still not a fan of his, and still dont love him , but fairs fair he had a decent game last night ... and on that (and you wont get this out of me very often unless he performs well) WELL DONE JASON SCOTLAND. Now make us all shut up and do your job like you show you can on times!!!!!!!!!

It's not often that I disagree with you CJ, but I do on this. I think DBSwans has hit the nail on his head with his post. He's spot on to suggest that a striker's task in a 4-5-1 formation is a thankless one. One of his main jobs is to receive the ball in midfield with back to goal and bring advancing midfielders into the game. If this works properly then the midfielder's going to receive the ball at full speed, leaving the striker an impossible task in catching up with play unless it's slowed down by the defence. He's never going to trouble the top scorer charts if he's used in this way but the fact that midfielders have provided the majority of our goals is in no small way down to him.

We're both old enough to remember the Frankie Burrows era. He always played the same formation as we do now but, while players like McFarlane were duffers, the strikers at that time never came close to matching Scotland's total of 29 at the same level. The guy who came closest was Torpey who never looked that good, but did very well in what is now the Championship with Bristol City (I think). Makes me wonder if he'd have been more prolific for us if he had company up front just as I'm sure Scotland would be? He wouldn't look as lazy then because he'd be one of two chasing the ball. One thing I'm sure we'll agree on is that in Scotland we've moved on immeasurably from the days of McFarlane, Torpey, Hayes, Alsop etc! thumbs up

Just as a general point, it's also interesting to note that Scotland scored (comfortably) more goals last season than Trundle ever did in a season for us in his first season in English football, and has already scored more goals in under half a season at this level than Trundle did all of last season, despite being used in a 4-5-1 formation. People might say that he's played more games, but doesn't the fact that he's holding onto the only striking position going at Swansea while Trundle is unable to claim one of the two going in Drizzle, even with one of their strikers out injured against us, say something? While I'm not suggesting that Trundle should be the barometer of a good striker, this suggests to me that we have a more than adequate replacement for the best striker that we've had in recent times. That can't be bad!

Fair play, that's got to be the best post of the new forum. Thank god there are others on here who understand the tactical aspects of football.

Agreed. Should take over the job at park avenue! rofl
Edzzie93
Edzzie93
First team regular
First team regular

Posts : 540
Join date : 2008-11-07
Age : 27
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  JACK77 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:25 am

DBSwansea wrote:
Evanski wrote:
Cornellyjak wrote:OK, he got 2 goals last night.. yes i was there as usual and for once he did actually try. His ball control was much better than normal. Just a thought .... does anyone else think he tried harder last night because of the heroic statue of Trundle and the way we chanted his name at Bristol? I think he did, but he has to put in this type of performance every game not just when it pleases him.
Still not a fan of his, and still dont love him , but fairs fair he had a decent game last night ... and on that (and you wont get this out of me very often unless he performs well) WELL DONE JASON SCOTLAND. Now make us all shut up and do your job like you show you can on times!!!!!!!!!

It's not often that I disagree with you CJ, but I do on this. I think DBSwans has hit the nail on his head with his post. He's spot on to suggest that a striker's task in a 4-5-1 formation is a thankless one. One of his main jobs is to receive the ball in midfield with back to goal and bring advancing midfielders into the game. If this works properly then the midfielder's going to receive the ball at full speed, leaving the striker an impossible task in catching up with play unless it's slowed down by the defence. He's never going to trouble the top scorer charts if he's used in this way but the fact that midfielders have provided the majority of our goals is in no small way down to him.

We're both old enough to remember the Frankie Burrows era. He always played the same formation as we do now but, while players like McFarlane were duffers, the strikers at that time never came close to matching Scotland's total of 29 at the same level. The guy who came closest was Torpey who never looked that good, but did very well in what is now the Championship with Bristol City (I think). Makes me wonder if he'd have been more prolific for us if he had company up front just as I'm sure Scotland would be? He wouldn't look as lazy then because he'd be one of two chasing the ball. One thing I'm sure we'll agree on is that in Scotland we've moved on immeasurably from the days of McFarlane, Torpey, Hayes, Alsop etc! thumbs up

Just as a general point, it's also interesting to note that Scotland scored (comfortably) more goals last season than Trundle ever did in a season for us in his first season in English football, and has already scored more goals in under half a season at this level than Trundle did all of last season, despite being used in a 4-5-1 formation. People might say that he's played more games, but doesn't the fact that he's holding onto the only striking position going at Swansea while Trundle is unable to claim one of the two going in Drizzle, even with one of their strikers out injured against us, say something? While I'm not suggesting that Trundle should be the barometer of a good striker, this suggests to me that we have a more than adequate replacement for the best striker that we've had in recent times. That can't be bad!

Fair play, that's got to be the best post of the new forum. Thank god there are others on here who understand the tactical aspects of football.

Shame you had to let the new forum down with the worst sig i've ever seen thumbs down

JACK77
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 291
Join date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  DBSwansea on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:33 am

JACK77 wrote:Shame you had to let the new forum down with the worst sig i've ever seen thumbs down

It's true though thumbs up

_________________
UBoss Supplements | Training Log

"Most powerlifters share some common defects. We, as a whole for whatever reason, LOVE to punish, beat and torture ourselves beyond the limits of mind and body. It is our spirit that prevails. This defect of intelligence and sensibility pushes us on to the next level, makes us better and stronger. "
DBSwansea
DBSwansea
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 284
Join date : 2008-11-08
Age : 37
Location : The mean streets of Penlan

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=516785633&ref=profile

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  Edzzie93 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:13 am

i think my one looks rather dashing!
Edzzie93
Edzzie93
First team regular
First team regular

Posts : 540
Join date : 2008-11-07
Age : 27
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  Cornellyjak on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:29 am

Edzzie93 wrote:i think my one looks rather dashing!

Definately worst sig ever to hit any forum

You've certainly asserted yourself this time Edzzie. grrrr
Cornellyjak
Cornellyjak
On the bench
On the bench

Posts : 311
Join date : 2008-11-12
Age : 55
Location : Pyle, Just outside of Porthcawl

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=info&edit_info=all#/profil

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  DBSwansea on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 am

Cornellyjak wrote:
Edzzie93 wrote:i think my one looks rather dashing!

Definately worst sig ever to hit any forum

You've certainly asserted yourself this time Edzzie. grrrr

It seems we have 2 contenders for the worst STID sig, can I win please? After my last comp I need the confidence boost.

_________________
UBoss Supplements | Training Log

"Most powerlifters share some common defects. We, as a whole for whatever reason, LOVE to punish, beat and torture ourselves beyond the limits of mind and body. It is our spirit that prevails. This defect of intelligence and sensibility pushes us on to the next level, makes us better and stronger. "
DBSwansea
DBSwansea
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 284
Join date : 2008-11-08
Age : 37
Location : The mean streets of Penlan

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=516785633&ref=profile

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  dybie_jack on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:49 am

Scotland look more active yesterday, I think he's taking hints from Pintado!!!! he looked dangerous, I think the internationalls didn't help him to be consistent.
BTW can anyone tell me, Scotlad was top scorer last season but where did most of his goals happen home or away? Becuase if I remember correctly people who went to away games said how fantastic he was, but he was different at home, or am I dreaming it?
dybie_jack
dybie_jack
First team squad member
First team squad member

Posts : 271
Join date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  SCFC_Messiah on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:46 pm

The majority come away from home, which is where he got the real support.

That's down to the fact he had a strike partner for virtually all those games. Some of us have said all along that he's doing well enough in a very difficult formation, but others wont accept that. He could be the lone player, let alone the lone striker, and they would still expect him to score at will.

SCFC_Messiah
1st year scholar
1st year scholar

Posts : 76
Join date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  Cornellyjak on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:11 am

SCFC_Messiah wrote:The majority come away from home, which is where he got the real support.

That's down to the fact he had a strike partner for virtually all those games. Some of us have said all along that he's doing well enough in a very difficult formation, but others wont accept that. He could be the lone player, let alone the lone striker, and they would still expect him to score at will.

Dont think your right with your comment there mate, I went to most of the away games last term and shouted my heart out like most others. However Scotty didnt perform any better with or without someone at his side. Scotland is just one of those players that either want to or dont want to play each game as he steps onto the pitch. This guy can be great, however he doesnt want to play as often as our season says he should. I think he is more of a 2nd week striked. play him one week rest him the next. Only then will we see him at his best. Oh and also stop the T&T internationals as when he comes back from them for 3 to 4 weeks he looks exhausted.
Cornellyjak
Cornellyjak
On the bench
On the bench

Posts : 311
Join date : 2008-11-12
Age : 55
Location : Pyle, Just outside of Porthcawl

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=info&edit_info=all#/profil

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  SCFC_Messiah on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Well you're not just disagreeing with me, you're disagreeing with the cold hard facts. Just look at how many he scored at home last year compared to away. The difference? 1. He had a strike partner. 2. He tended to have better support from the 'fans'.


Compare Bristol Rovers first half last season, to Bristol Rovers second half. He was given a strike partner and he was a totally different player. There's plenty more examples for this too. (Barnsley being the most recent example)

From what I've gathered from other messageboards, the belief he's a better player with a strike partner is common consensus.

SCFC_Messiah
1st year scholar
1st year scholar

Posts : 76
Join date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  DBSwansea on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 pm

You should just appreciate what we have now, if it wasn't for Scotland we'd still be playing Leeds.

Sooner or later everyone moves on for better or worse it happens.

Anyone wearing white will get my support, I can't see how difficult it is to the same. But then have you looked around you in the stands? We have some seriously stupid fans, I'm fed of all this crap.

No one chants for Leon Knight do they? His goal ratio was excellent. I'm bored of this now. Either give him your support or shut the f*ck up.

_________________
UBoss Supplements | Training Log

"Most powerlifters share some common defects. We, as a whole for whatever reason, LOVE to punish, beat and torture ourselves beyond the limits of mind and body. It is our spirit that prevails. This defect of intelligence and sensibility pushes us on to the next level, makes us better and stronger. "
DBSwansea
DBSwansea
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 284
Join date : 2008-11-08
Age : 37
Location : The mean streets of Penlan

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=516785633&ref=profile

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  MrSafe on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:13 am

I dont see why a lot of fans are getting on his back for?
He is a striker and his job is to score goals and make chances and thats what he is doing.
Ok he does look a bit lazy at times which can be frustrating but i think is there to hold up the ball as Db said and let the wingers attack.
If Scotland was just lazing about and wasn't doing his job properly then Martinez would have said something or done something about it.
Also when the fans start getting on his back that makes it worse as he is under pressure and he is then more likely to make mistakes
MrSafe
MrSafe
Impact sub
Impact sub

Posts : 441
Join date : 2008-11-07
Age : 27
Location : Swansea

Back to top Go down

To all the Scotland critics - Page 2 Empty Re: To all the Scotland critics

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum